Every recruiter has the same goal in mind, regardless of industry or specialty: hire the best candidates possible for the positions available. There are many schools of thought on how to achieve this and everyone seems to have differing opinions on best practices and optimal techniques. Regardless of approach, when it comes to recruiting, it’s important to keep in mind that even the most well thought-out hiring process could be wasting valuable time (and candidates) if not done properly.
Why Hire an Employment Agency?
Hiring is complicated. That is why more and more organizations are turning to staffing agencies to help them find top talent. Since recruiting is their main focus, staffing agencies can tap into their expertise and network and make the candidate search much more efficient. Even if a company has a recruiting department, it can benefit from using an employment agency. Costs can be minimized, retention can be maximized and recruiter productivity can soar.
When evaluating staffing services, it can be tempting to accept the lowest bid or cheapest offer. However, cost should not be the only factor considered when hiring an employment agency. Here are several factors to consider when looking to outsource your recruiting, as compiled by LinkedIn.
- They should be able to find the best of the best. Because you are paying for a service, they should provide you with candidates that would be difficult for you to find on your own.
- A staffing agency understands how important it is for applicants to have real world experience, so they should be able to find people who are ready to work and have the right skills and knowledge-base to do the job.
- Guarantee periods should be reasonable. A good staffing agency knows when they are good at what they do and are not afraid to give you the time needed to determine if someone is a good fit. They should have a six month guarantee period, at the least.
If you decide to recruit on your own, staffing software can help streamline the entire hiring process, from reviewing candidates to scheduling interviews to extending job offers. No matter what your hiring needs are, staffing software can provide strategic value, enhance recruiter productivity and help identify quality applicants.
Here are some other benefits a staffing software system can provide:
- Streamlining: Having a streamlined hiring process is essential to conduct an efficient talent search. It is important to evaluate your current recruiting guidelines to determine whether or not each step of the process is truly necessary. Out-dated or extraneous tasks can frustrate recruiters, as it takes the focus off of the big picture (finding the best talent). Don’t let bureaucracy be a stumbling block to getting the best employees.
- Strategic Value: Many companies are turning to staffing software as their one-stop-shop for recruiting. From day one, staffing software can save time and maximize recruiting efforts. Instead of taking days to accumulate and review resumes, a staffing software platform search functionality can provide a short list of candidates within seconds.
- Increase Productivity: Creating a workflow and following each applicant through every step of the hiring process, from the beginning to end, allows recruiters to spend more time reviewing and prescreening candidates and conducting interviews.
- Finding Quality Candidates: Conducting focused keyword searches gives recruiters the opportunity to concentrate on the skills, talents and abilities needed in an ideal employee. As an added bonus, it can also be an opportunity to identify other qualities that would make an applicant a good fit for the company. A strong prescreening process can help determine if an applicant was using keywords to get noticed or if he or she has the necessary knowledge and experience for the position.
- Social Media Integration: Integrating job postings with social media outlets will not only help “spread the word” about open positions, but it also a good way to engage with candidates that are typically more passive. This recruiting technique takes a bit of finesse and it usually a more lengthy approach, but it can often lead to finding that needle in a haystack.
With the additional saved time by utilizing staffing software, recruiters and staffing professionals can focus on finding new clients, strengthening relationships with existing ones, and sharpening skills via training and career development opportunities. It can change the way recruiters operate and do business.